COVID-19: Father Joe’s Villages Begins Taking People Off the Street and Into the Convention Center
- Father Joe’s Villages working with the City on new intakes for the Convention Center
- Organization working with local school districts to provide internet access for K-12 students
- Q&A to follow the press conference
Tomorrow, Father Joe’s Villages will host its fifth virtual press conference to address the organization’s response to COVID-19. Deacon Jim Vargas, president, and CEO will offer details of the intake process at the Convention Center and how the organization is working with the City of San Diego to identify individuals who are seeking shelter. Dr. Jeffrey Norris, medical director, will address the symptom screening process conducted at the Convention Center.
Father Joe’s Villages will also share stories of community support such as a donation of 300 hygiene kits from Grace Church San Diego (North Park) and the contribution of 20,000 pounds of food from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The organization is also working with local school districts to provide internet access to K-12 students in its programs.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE FUND:
Father Joe’s Villages has shifted its staff to focus on critical emergency programs and services at this time. Additionally, Father Joe’s Villages closed all Thrift Stores and Donation Centers and paused donation pick-ups. As a result, it asks the community for support to provide resources during the outbreak through the Father Joe’s Villages Emergency Response Fund. Thanks to the generosity of three anonymous donors and The San Diego Foundation, your gift to the Father Joe’s Villages Emergency Response Fund will be matched dollar for dollar (up to $260,000) until April 23. Deemed an emergency service by the City, County, and State, Father Joe’s Villages will continue to provide health care, meals, shelter, and more to those who need it most.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS AND CONTACT:
- Organizations: Father Joe’s Villages
- Date/ time: Thursday, April 16, 8 a.m.
- How to attend:
- Press inquiries: Contact Hector Zermeño, firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-732-0789 x432
- Further action: Donate to the Emergency Response Fund.
- Link to use in your story: